Rashida Tlaib and Ilhan Omar are two US congresswomen who are known for their support for Palestinian rights.
They have been vocal critics of the Israeli government and its policies towards the Palestinians, and have faced backlash and censure from some of their colleagues and pro-Israel groups.
They have also expressed solidarity with the Palestinian people and called for a peaceful and just resolution of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
Here are some of the recent news articles about them:
- Ilhan Omar’s Defense of Rashida Tlaib Viewed 1 Million Times: This article reports on how Ilhan Omar defended Rashida Tlaib during a vote on whether to censure her for her comments about Israel. Omar said that Tlaib “will stand strong” and that the Palestinian movement will continue for liberation.
- Rashida Tlaib and Ilhan Omar condemn ‘anti-Palestinian hate’ in US politics: This article covers the joint statement by Rashida Tlaib and Ilhan Omar condemning anti-Palestinian sentiment in U.S. politics. They said that there is a “growing tide of bigoted anti-Muslim, anti-Arab and anti-Palestinian hate pervading our politics” and that they will not be silenced.
- Ilhan Omar is more poisonous than Rashida Tlaib: Dalia al-Aqidi: This article features the criticism of Ilhan Omar by Dalia al-Aqidi, a Minnesota Republican congressional candidate and a former Iraqi refugee. Al-Aqidi accused Omar of being “more poisonous” than Tlaib and of spreading antisemitism and hatred.
There are several Congress members who support Palestinian rights in Congress, besides Rashida Tlaib and Ilhan Omar. Some of them are:
- Betty McCollum: She introduced the Defending the Human Rights of Palestinian Children and Families Living Under Israeli Military Occupation Act, which would prohibit US funding for Israeli military detention of Palestinian children, home demolitions, and annexation of Palestinian land1.
- Cori Bush: She is a Black Lives Matter activist who has drawn parallels between the struggles of Palestinians and Black Americans. She has condemned Israel’s attacks on Gaza and called for an end to US military aid to Israel2.
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: She is a prominent progressive leader who has criticised Israel’s occupation of Palestinian territories and its treatment of Palestinian refugees. She has also co-sponsored a resolution to block a $735m arms sale to Israel3.
- Ayanna Pressley: She is a member of the “Squad” of progressive women of color in Congress. She has spoken out against Israel’s human rights violations and called for a two-state solution that respects the dignity and rights of both Palestinians and Israelis4.
- Andre Carson: He is one of the three Muslim members of Congress. He has expressed solidarity with the Palestinian people and urged the Biden administration to take a more balanced approach to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict2.
To amplify information: