There is no definitive answer to the question of who are the best presidents of the US, as different criteria and opinions may lead to different rankings.
However, based on some surveys of historians and experts, there are some presidents who consistently appear in the top positions of various lists.
Here are some of them, along with some of their achievements and challenges:
- Abraham Lincoln12345: He is widely regarded as the greatest president for his leadership during the Civil War, the preservation of the Union, and the abolition of slavery. He also issued the Emancipation Proclamation, delivered the Gettysburg Address, and supported the passage of the Thirteenth Amendment. He faced fierce opposition from the Confederate states, as well as assassination attempts and personal tragedies.
- George Washington12345: He was the first president of the US and one of the Founding Fathers. He set several important precedents for the office of the presidency, such as the two-term limit, the cabinet system, and the peaceful transition of power. He also led the Continental Army during the American Revolution, presided over the Constitutional Convention, and helped shape the new nation’s foreign policy.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt1234: He was the only president to serve more than two terms, and he led the country through two of its greatest crises: the Great Depression and World War II. He implemented the New Deal, a series of programs and reforms that aimed to provide relief, recovery, and reform for the American people. He also established diplomatic relations with the Soviet Union, initiated the Lend-Lease program, and laid the foundations for the United Nations.
- Theodore Roosevelt12345: He was a progressive leader who championed many causes, such as conservation, consumer protection, labor rights, and anti-trust regulation. He also expanded the role and influence of the US in world affairs, by building the Panama Canal, mediating the Russo-Japanese War, and initiating the Roosevelt Corollary to the Monroe Doctrine. He was also an avid adventurer, hunter, writer, and Nobel Peace Prize laureate.
- Thomas Jefferson1245: He was another Founding Father and the principal author of the Declaration of Independence. He was also a visionary thinker who advocated for democracy, individual rights, religious freedom, and education. As president, he oversaw the Louisiana Purchase, which doubled the size of the US territory. He also supported scientific exploration, such as the Lewis and Clark Expedition. However, he also faced controversies over his ownership of slaves and his relationship with Sally Hemings.
These are some of the best presidents of US according to some sources.
You can learn more about them by exploring their biographies or reading some books or articles about them.
To amplify information: