President Joe Biden has asked Congress to approve a supplemental budget request for fiscal 2024 that will provide security assistance for conflicts in Ukraine and Israel, as well as address other national and global challenges.
Here are some key points from the news and web search results:
- The supplemental request is estimated to be over $105 billion1 and includes aid to Ukraine and Israel, humanitarian relief, border security, disaster recovery, and defense industrial base2.
- The request aims to support Ukraine’s fight against Russia’s invasion, which has caused a humanitarian crisis and threatened regional stability2. The U.S. has already provided military equipment and training to Ukraine, but more is needed to deter further aggression3.
- The request also seeks to invest in Israel’s defense against Hamas terrorists, who have launched thousands of rockets at Israeli civilians2. The U.S. has already replenished Israel’s Iron Dome missile defense system, but more funding is needed to strengthen its air and missile defense systems3.
- The request also provides resources to compete with China and bolster security and stability in the Indo-Pacific region, including by strengthening the U.S. submarine industrial base as part of the AUKUS agreement with Australia and the United Kingdom2.
- The request also addresses domestic issues such as border security, disaster recovery, and pandemic response1. The request includes funding for the Department of Homeland Security to manage the influx of migrants at the southern border, as well as for FEMA to assist communities affected by natural disasters such as hurricanes, wildfires, and floods1. The request also supports the global fight against COVID-19 by providing vaccines and other assistance to vulnerable countries1.
President Biden has urged Congress to act quickly and approve the supplemental request, saying that it is crucial for U.S. national security and global leadership3.
He said that the U.S. must stand up to tyranny and aggression and defend democracy and human rights around the world2.
He also said that the request will create new American jobs and strengthen the American economy by investing in the defense industrial base2.
To amplify information: