Vice President Kamala Harris said that the US has no intention of sending combat troops to Israel or Gaza amid the ongoing war.
This is a very important and timely topic that has implications for the US role and strategy in the region.
Here is a summary of what I found:
- Harris made this statement in an interview with CBS’ “60 Minutes” that aired on Sunday, October 29, 2023123.
- Harris reiterated the position of the Biden administration that Israel has a right to defend itself against the Hamas attack that killed more than 1,400 Israeli citizens on October 7, 202312345.
- Harris also condemned the Hamas attacks and called for a peaceful resolution of the conflict, but did not publicly pressure Israel to stop its bombing campaign on Gaza, which has killed more than 4,200 Palestinians and displaced more than 1 million12345.
- Harris said that it is very important that there be no conflation between Hamas and the Palestinians, and that the Palestinians deserve equal measures of safety and security, self-determination and dignity123.
- Harris also stressed the importance of adhering to the rules of war and providing humanitarian aid to Gaza through all necessary measures, including humanitarian corridors and pauses123.
- Harris also warned Iran not to get involved in the war, saying “Don’t. One word. Pretty straightforward.”12.
To amplify information: